Tour Code: IGT-CAV-16
Duration: 2Days / 1 Night
Price: US$278 per person, departures 2-3 times a week at 8:00AM from local hotels in Phong Nha (minimum 2 pax)
SMALL GROUPS – WEEKLY DEPARTURES – ONE OF THE MOST CAPTIVATING CAVES IN THE WORLD
Experience one of the biggest WOW factors in Vietnam on this two-day tour to one of the largest caves in the world. You’ll meet a remote minority ethnic group living deep in the jungle, visit the jaw-dropping exit made famous by National Geographic, and spend the night inside a massive chamber with thousands of darting swifts overhead.
On this trip you’ll spend your first day scrambling down a jungle mountain from an elevation of 500m, before passing through a remote mountain tribe of only 42 people in Ban Doong Village. Look out for the crazy owl! After which you will follow a spectacular river valley to reach Hang En Cave, which has been recognized as one of the most captivating caves on earth by National Geographic! Hang En Cave is an incredible feat of nature and you will not see anything like it anywhere else in the world.
With your expert English-speaking guide and porter team, you’ll explore this magnificent cave and see some fascinating fossils, which are over 300 million years old. You will follow the river through the cave before coming across your campsite on a sandy beach, below a collapsed section of the cave, where you can gaze out to the stars in the evening. You’ll enjoy a delicious BBQ dinner with some local rice wine and hear stories from your guide about the local people and their culture. This is designed as an adventure tour and not a walk in the park. Be prepared for a difficult trek up the mountain on the second day!
Safety is absolutely paramount on all trips operated by iGrandtour and you will be provided with helmets, life jackets, headlights and trekking boots (sizes 38 – 46). All camping gear will also be provided and carried by your porter team. However, you will be responsible for carrying your own clothes and camera etc.
Adventure Level: Moderate-to-High (16km). You should have experience trekking before attempting this tour with Us. It is a tough walk out the following day!
Highlights: National Park, Ban Doong Village, Rao Thuong River Valley, Hang En Cave.
Trekking Gear: Helmet, Trekking Boots (limited sizes 38-46), Headlight, Life Jacket, Tent, Sleeping Bag.
Day 1: Phong Nha – K35 – Ban Doong Village – Hang En Cave (L,D)
- 08:00 – Pick up at local Phong Nha Hotel.
- 08:30 – Collect equipment at Oxalis HQ and depart in vehicle for trekking point.
- 09:30 – Arrive at trekking point at K35 on Ho Chi Minh Road and start trekking.
- 11:30 – Arrive at Ban Doong Minority Village with picnic lunch at nearby river location.
- 14:30 – Arrive at Hang En Campsite.
- 15:00 – Explore Hang En and visit Hang En Exit.
- 18:00 – Enjoy BBQ Dinner and watch the thousands of swifts overhead and maybe a flying fox.
- 20:00 – Overnight at Campsite in Hang En’s huge passage.
Day 2: Hang En Campsite Viewpoint – Hang En Fossils – Ban Doong Village – Phong Nha (B,L)
- 07:00 – Breakfast
- 08:00 – Explore dry passage to viewpoint high above campsite. See 300 million year old fossils.
- 10:00 – Trek back through river valley to Ban Doong Village. Explore area around village.
- 12:30 – Picnic lunch by small stream.
- 13:30 – Trek up the big hill to Ho Chi Minh Road (very challenging!)
- 15:30 – Cold drinks at Ho Chi Minh Road and return by vehicle to Phong Nha.
- 17:00 – Arrive at your Phong Nha Hotel.
Tour Includes: Picnic Lunches, Dinner, Breakfast (Day 2), Entrance Fees, Trekking & Camping Gear, Tour Guide, Porters (1 porter per 3 pax), Transport and VAT.
Tour Excludes: Hotel (before/after the tour), Breakfast/Dinner (before/after the tour), Personal Expenses and Travel Insurance.
Price & Reservations: US$278 per person with departures 2 to 3 times a week at 8:00AM from local hotels in Phong Nha (minimum 2 pax).